19 May, 2008

Social Security

I had not gotten social security numbers on children 4-9. I figured that they were neither paying or collecting social security so why did they need them. I had not been able to claim them as dependents on my taxes(it had not made much difference), but other than that I had no problems with SS#s until recently. This year the tax difference was fairly large so I decided to get the numbers. I found out later that you can not get individual health insurance on people without SS#s. I knew Birth Certificates would be required so I got all of them($23 each), then I diligently go to the SS website and got the forms I thought I needed. I missed the comment about

We may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use your U.S. passport as proof of both citizenship and identity. However, you must provide at least two separate documents.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

I took in the birth certificates and they told me they had to have another form of identification. Here is the list from the website

Your child: We can accept only certain documents as proof of your child’s identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your child’s name, identifying information and preferably a recent photograph. We generally can accept a non-photo identity document if it has enough information to identify the child (such as the child’s name and age, date of birth or parents’ names). We prefer to see the child’s U.S. passport. If that document is not available, we may accept the child’s:

  • Adoption decree;
  • Doctor, clinic or hospital record;
  • Religious record (e.g., baptismal record);
  • Daycare center or school record; or
  • School identification card.


The first thing they request is the childs passport. You can not get a passport without a SS# so that is impossible.

The children are not adopted so the first bullet point wouldn't work.

4 of the 6 had been to the doctor, so I could get medical records on them. But it would be a pain, so I decided to try other things.

Bullet 3 looked like a good choice, so I got together dedication certificates on 7, 8, and 9. Signed by third party ministers.

Since Homeschools are private schools in Texas I did school records for 4, 5, and 6(below compulsory attendance age, but schooling).

Guess what piece of information you have to have to enter a Govt school and get a school ID. If you guessed SS# go to the front of the line.

I go back in with these documents. They tell me none of the documents are acceptable because they don't have date of birth(have you ever seen a religious document with date of birth). I tell them I can add a date of birth to the school records, which is not required information on the list above. Then they tell me they have no probative value since they are done by the parents. After arguing for a while they agree to send them to the regional office for approval. They promise to call back when they get an answer(this was 4 pm on Friday).

On Wednesday I go in since I haven't heard from them. They tell me that none of the documents are acceptable. I ask what would be acceptable, they tell me medical records with date of birth. I ask what about the ones who have never seen a doctor, they tell me again that all they will accept is medical records with date of birth. I call HSLDA for help and they offer to send me third party verification letters.

I go to the local congressional office and tell Joanne Powell who runs the local office the story. She seems amazed that they won't take what I have. She calls the manager and talks to him for 30 minutes and then says there is nothing she can do, he is following the procedures. Of course this is all the democrats fault this they are the majority. The republicans would fix this if they were in the majority.

The following Monday I take the HSLDA letters in(in the meantime I have gotten medical records on 4, 5, and 6 from the pediatrician, but I don't tell them that). They first tell me it isn't acceptable. I ask them why and they said they would refer it to regional again, but it probably would not be acceptable. I ask them to get me explanation of why they are not acceptable and why the religious records are not acceptable. They promise to call when they get an answer from regional.To be continued so far two weeks and no SS numbers. But at least they didn't kidnap my kids because they aren't govt schooled and have wierd ideas like they have the FLDS kids from Eldorado. I think I might have to take 2 or 3 healthy kids and pay for a doctors visit so I have medical records on them to get a SS#.

Update #1(5-25-08) The SS office called me Friday to tell me that they haven't heard back from the regional office if the HSLDA letters are acceptable. I took them in on Monday. I have medical records on 4-6 and letters from a doctor friend for 7-9. So if they refuse the HSLDA letters, I will try those.

Update #2(5-29-08) Went into SS office today because I hadn't heard an answer on the HSLDA letters and because I had all the medical records. I had tried to call and their phone is always busy. They showed me an email from regional that explained that they refused the Church documents because they were based on parents statements and had not probative value(not true since they were signed by third party ministers). They had no answer on the HSLDA letters, he said they were not school records so he couldn't use them. I said that they were a third party verification of the school records(which he had refused because they came from the parents). Then I gave them the medical documents I had, he said I think we can use these. He checked with his boss and said they were okay and he could do 4 of them today. The other two were born in Concho County and he has to call and verify them because they don't report to the Bureau of Vital Statistics. He hadn't verified them in the past 4 weeks. He said I should have cards on the 4 in about 7 to 10 days(I assume he means working days). He will(supposedly)call if there are any problems with the other 2.

Update #3(6/13/08) We received cards on 4 and 6 on 6/6, we received the cards for 3 and 7 on 6/10, 9 came on 6/13 and 8 came in on 6/16/08, so we have them all now.

3 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

It has been awhile since we jumped through similar hoops... our youngest are almost 12. For our 'secondary' identification, we were allowed to use a newspaper article on the twins homebirth, which had the story, date, and pictures.

They refused to allow us to make 'back to back" requests for the twins' SS numbers... we had to file requests on different days... "so their numbers wouldn't be too close to one another".

Good Luck and happy red tape snipping.

~Tammy~ said...

It has been years (my youngest are 12) since we have had to jump through gov't hoops for SS. The SS office in Lawton, OK, had us file on the twins on separate days, "so their SS numbers would not be too close together".
They did accept a newspaper article (had date, photo, and story) about the twins unassisted homebirth as secondary identification.

I hope you are able to snip through the red tape soon!

Regina said...

7-10 days, yeah right! I just got Cameron's SS# and we had everything in to them 3 months ago!

Once you get the #s you'll have to go through the next hoop of applying for the back taxes. Something tells me that's going to take a chunk of time, too.