01 September, 2004

Republican Drift

It is amazing and sad to see the current Republican party. I am from Texas and have seen my state change form 80% Democrat to 70% Republican. The amazing part is I don't think the views of the people have moved rightward(they have probably moved left), but the parties have both moved so far left that old Democrats find themselves comfortable in the Republican party. The only problem is where do the old Republicans go?

There are a couple of choices. Though they don't have much chance in the 2004 election, third parties such as the Libertarian and Constitution parties(links to their website are to the left) are attracting people who still believe in Freedom and the Constitution, unlike the Republicans. Check out their positions and see what you think. But remember, the official platform of the Republican party is pretty good, but their actions when elected are not even close.

Some peopel have argued that if they can't win you shouldn't vote for them because it hurts Bush. But if you don't agree with Bush and the Republican party and their actions(not their talk) then you can't in good conscience vote for him. Look at Bush's good things: Tax Cuts, and maybe the handling of the terrorist attacks, what else good is there? Then compare his bad things: increased spending, Every Child Left Behind act(with Ted Kennedy), Patroit Act, Campaign finance act, the undeclared(and therefore unconstitutional) war in Iraq, failure to close our borders or enforce immigration laws while we are at war. He has nominated some decent judges, but has been unwilling to really fight for their confirmation. Here is a President that after 3.5 years in office has NEVER vetoed a single bill passed by Congress. That has never happened in our almost 230 year history.

As for me, I figure I am in agreement with Bush about 30% of the time(Kerry Never). I don't have a problem with compromising and voting for someone I don't totally agree with. But 30% means he is on the other side. I would like to vote for Michael Peroutka with the Constitution Party, but they won't be on the ballot in Texas(see their website for how hard the two major parties make it to get on the ballot). So I will vote for Badnarik with the Libertarian party. I don't totally agree with some of their postions but it is about 70% agreement.

Of course, we each have to decide for ourselves who will we vote for. I just wanted everyone to know where I stand and why.


No comments: